1. Today marks the 12th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attack on the World Trade Center, the fallen flight in Pennsylvania and the Pentagon crash. There will be a moment of silence observed across the state this morning in memory of those lost.
2. The Board of Finance will meet tonight, beginning at 6:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers at Southington Town Hall, with an agenda that includes executive session for contractual matter.
3. America’s obesity epidemic has set us up for a society that is at high risk for developing diabetes. While it’s estimated that about 24 million have diabetes, there are another 57 million people thought to have prediabetes, a condition that boosts risks for diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. Head to Southington Public Library Thursday at 12 p.m. for lunch with a doc to learn more.
4. Coming on Patch: Teachers are spending time out of class and although it's just a small amount, officials are considering ways to reduce it further. Stay tuned for more.
5. Elsewhere on Patch: For years, Charles Giles, of Ocean County, has claimed he was pulled alive from the rubble of the North Tower. Turns out it wasn't true. Read on for more.
USE SOUTHINGTON PATCH!
- If you have an event you'd like to promote, post it on Patch's awesome calendar.
- Do you have an opinion? Post it on Speak Out!
- Do you have something to announce to the world?
- Are you a business in town with news?
- Do you have something you'd like to sell, trade or buy?
Make sure to like Southington Patch on Facebook or follow on Twitter for breaking news, daily updates and more!