Here's a glance of what's happening in and around Southington this week.
Monday, May 19:
The Board of Education will hold a special meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the Public Assembly Room of the Municipal Center, 200 N. Main St. There are candidate interviews scheduled for executive session followed by the proposed principal appointment for the Plantsville Elementary School.
Tuesday, May 20:
The Board of Education Curriculum Committee will meet at 9 a.m. in the Municipal Center Conference Room 2, 200 N. Main St. The agenda includes: Textbook Adoption for Grade 6 and new course proposals for Southington High School.
The Middle Schools Building Committee is scheduled to meet at 4:30 p.m. at DePaolo Middle School, 385 Pleasant St. The agenda includes reports from the architect, Fletcher Thompson, DePaolo and Kennedy, and from the construction manager, Newfield Construction, DePaolo and Kennedy, and approval of invoices.
The Planning & Zoning Commission will meet at 7 p.m. in the Municipal Center Public Assembly Room, 200 N. Main St. The agenda includes five public hearings:
- A. Turning Earth Central Connecticut, LLC, Special Permit Application for the construction of multiple buildings on one lot to facilitate the development and operation of a source separated organics recycling facility, known as a volume reduction plan, using anaerobic digestion and aerobic composting to produce compost, renewable energy and heat for use in greenhouses that will grow premium-quality vegetables, 111 Spring Street (SPU #537)
- B. Mark H. Sekorski, applicant, special permit use application for more than 3 garage spaces (32’ x 36’ barn), property of Brian W. Whitford, 118 Mountain Pond Road (SPU #538)
- C. Richard Tomczak, Special Permit Application for more than three garage spaces, 53 Autran Avenue (SPU #534)
- D. Jim and Rosemarie Lord, Special Permit Application for parent/grandparent apartment, 267 East Street (SPU #535)
- E. Strollo Brothers & Sons., Inc., Special Permit Application for outside storage, 1520 Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike (SPU #536)
Wednesday, May 21:
The Sewer Committee will meet at 4:30 p.m. in the Town Hall Council Chambers.
Thursday, May 22:
The Economic Development Strike Committee is scheduled to meet at 4:30 p.m. in the Municipal Center Public Assembly Room, 200 N. Main St. The agenda includes: a presentation by Shane Lockwood, Southington/Plainville Health Director; a Marketing Breakfast update; CGI Communications Video update and a Downtown Seasonal Windows update.
The Board of Education will meet at 6:30 p.m. in the Municipal Center Public Assembly Room, 200 N. Main St. The agenda includes the Celebration of Excellence, Approval of Job Descriptions; Reallocation / Adoption of 2014-2015 Operating Budget; Appointment of Principal of Plantsville Elementary School, and Curricula Approval: K-12 Music, 9-12 Science, 9-12 Math, World Language Pilot.
Saturday, May 24:
The Southington Train Depot at 447 Canal St., adjacent to the Rails to Trails, is reopening. The depot, built in 1890, has been renovated and will be open to the public on Saturdays and Sundays beginning Saturday, May 24, through Sunday, September 15, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The public is invited to visit the passive historical display available for viewing at the depot.