Raising Readers Parent Club:
What is Raising Readers?
Raising Readers is a club that was developed to help parents support their children’s literacy development through the many opportunities that arise each day. Reading is the key to school and future success. This club will help you raise your child to be a reader.
What will I learn from Raising Readers?
During club meetings you will learn:
• the many things you already do to promote literacy in your home;
• why reading at home is so important;
• tips for parents of reluctant readers;
• how to choose books your children will like;
• how to set aside time for reading regularly;
• how to make reading time fun and meaningful; and
• how to access resources available through our school and public libraries.
What are some of the benefits of joining the club?
Club members will get a free book each week they attend meetings and receive supplies for children to use in a homework center at home. Members of past clubs have also noted the benefit of being able to discuss reading as well as other parenting issues with other parents. Club meetings are informal and conversational in nature.
This class is suitable for adults with children birth through age 8
Childcare is provided for children while parents attend the club meetings
Class meets at Hatton School Room 17