Southington has just finished its clean-up efforts following the now infamous Blizzard of 2013 - one which caused a stir following plows being ticketed - but residents should be ready because another round of wintry weather is headed our way.
A strengthening coastal storm system is expected to impact the area from Saturday into early Sunday, according to hazardous weather report from the National Weather Service.
'Widespread' & 'Significant'
The storm is predicted to bring with it "widespread" and "significant" precipitation.
"The precipitation is forecast to be mainly rain at the coast and a wintry mix of snow, sleet and freezing rain inland," the meteorologists stated in their report, with a "possibility for significant snowfall accumulations across Connecticut's "far interior zones."
Let Patch save you time. Get news like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
They added, however, that there is "still quite a bit of uncertainty" for this storm, and where area's receive mainly snow or mainly rain — or a mix in between — will depend on how the storm eventually tracks.
Here is this weekend's weather outlook for Southington:
- Friday: Sunny through mid morning, then becoming partly sunny, with a high near 38. Light and variable wind becoming northeast around 5 mph in the afternoon.
- Friday Night: A slight chance of snow showers after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Saturday: Snow likely before noon, then rain. High near 39. East wind 3 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
- Saturday Night: Rain. Low around 33. Northeast wind 9 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
- Sunday: Rain and snow before 3pm, then a chance of snow. High near 35. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Sunday Night: A chance of snow before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 43.