Take a moment to review each profile so you can be informed and prepared when you go to the polls on Nov. 5, 2013.
This week, we are looking at the Southington Board of Education candidates:
Editor's Note: Brian Goralski submitted his own independent form for publication.
Name: Brian S. Goralski
Address: 80 Buckland Street, Plantsville
Phone (day): (860) 621-7096, (evening): (860) 877-0753
Years lived in Southington: 40+
Occupation: At Risk Youth Coordinator, Meriden Public Schools
Education: BS – Justice and Law Administration, Western Connecticut State University
- Southington Board of Education, Fall 2003 - Present
- Southington Housing Authority, Fall 2002 – Spring 2005
- PTO at Derynoski Elementary School, Second Vice-President and Co-President, Fall 2000 – Fall 2003
- Southington Youth Soccer League, Coach, 2000 - 2011
- Southington Youth Basketball League, Coach, 2000 - Present
- Southington South Youth Athletic Association, Coach, 2000 - Present
- Southington Town-wide Effort to Promote Success (S.T.E.P.S.), Fall 2008 - Present
Why are you running? Or what do you hope to accomplish?
I am a lifelong resident of Southington and have enjoyed many things our town has to offer. My personal life as a father and coach, and my professional life, with DCF and the Meriden Public Schools, have focused on work with children. For the last ten years I have served as a member of the Southington Board of Education, the last six years I’ve had the honor of serving as Chairman. I think education is the foundation of our community and serving on the Board of Education allows me the opportunity to improve the quality of education the town of Southington offers while being fiscally responsible to the citizens. I’m proud to have been involved with the improved communication between the School Board, Town Council, Board of Finance and most importantly, the citizens of Southington. I hope to continue to serve the Southington community and move our school system forward.
What do you believe are the key issues that will affect your board in the next few years?
- Renovations and additions to the middle schools to better meet the needs of students and our community.
- Continue to bring improvements and consistency to the curriculum throughout the school system.
- Actively address safety and security needs throughout the school system.
- Continue to improve communication with Southington citizens to increase involvement with schools and create the best possible educational learning community.
What do you bring to this position that will allow you to make a difference?
I bring to this position the knowledge, experience, determination and motivation to do what is best for the children of Southington while never losing sight of the other residents of our town.
Make sure to like Southington Patch on Facebook and follow on Twitter for breaking news, daily updates and more!