A family of four has been displaced following a fire Sunday afternoon at a home on Debbie Drive.
Officials with the Southington Fire Department said the fire started in the chimney of the home and quickly spread into the house through the walls on the home. It forced firefighters to tear into the walls to extinguish the flames, but the fire was put out quickly.
There were no injuries in the response and although the home was signficantly damaged, the family was able to get out without any harm.
Capt. Mark Saucier told the Record-Journal early Monday that the home is not a total loss, but that work would need to be done before the family could return.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
"Repairs have to be made before the family can return home," Saucier said.
The fire is the fourth in the past 10 days and the second which has left a family displaced. An electrical fire on Thursday left seven without a home after a Liberty Street home suffered significant damage when a second-floor couch caught fire.
Fire officials also said that with a struggling economy, people need to beware that cutting corners such as not properly cleaning a chimney before using it for the winter can come with a significant risk.
Take a look back at some of our previous articles and links:
- Ventless Fireplace Safety: http://www.ventless-fireplace.org/ventless-fireplace-safety/