The charges continue to mount for a Southington man that police said was involved in dozens of overnight home burglaries in July, all of which occurred within 500 feet of his house and many where residents were inside at the time.
Detectives served seven new warrants on Jordan Uliasz Tuesday morning as he appeared in Bristol Superior Court for the case, Southington Police Lt. Michael Baribault said. He was charged with multiple counts of home invasion, first-degree burglary, third-degree burglary, third-degree criminal mischief and criminal attempt to commit each.
Uliasz, 19, formerly of 105 Juniper Road in Southington, was issued an additional $525,000 in court-set bonds and now remains in state custody at the Hartford Correctional Center in lieu of more than $1 million in combined bonds, officials said.
“Uliasz is accused of committing six confirmed cases of night-time residential burglaries of occupied homes, one daytime residential burglary, and a number of attempted burglaries in single-family occupied homes,” Baribault said.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
The cases stem from a series of incidents that occurred on July 18 and July 19 earlier this year, according to police reports.
Police have said that Uliasz acted alone in the burglaries, but took various items from each residence including jewelry, electronics and more. He was first arrested on July 20 after forensic evidence helped link him to the specific incidents.
Baribault said it was initially unknown whether Uliasz had accomplices in the burglaries, but further investigation revealed that he had acted alone and was responsible for each of the thefts in the area, some which included substantial items of value taken directly from homes.
“Entry into these homes was made by cutting screens to remove windows or displacing air conditioners placed in the window,” Baribault said. He is also accused of gaining access by forcing open cellar doors.
No one was injured or attacked during any of the burglaries, police said.
Uliasz has been involved in numerous police cases over the past year now, including an arrest in January following two shoplifting incidents at the Target store on Executive Boulevard and a third that took place at the Walmart on Queen Street. The thefts included Uliasz taking video game systems and other electronics, even pushing his way through a Target security guard in one incident according to police.
Court officials said Uliasz reached a plea agreement in April and agreed to enter guilty pleas to two counts of sixth-degree larceny. He was sentenced to 90 days in prison, execution suspended, and one year on probation.
Uliasz is also facing charges in the West Pine Drive vandalism from summer 2011. Police said while investigating the recent string of burglaries, they came across evidence linking him to the series of vandalisms that included more than $30,000 in damage to brand new homes along the residential neighborhood off of West Street.
Uliasz has not entered a plea to these charges, according to court records.
Both investigations remain active and police are asking anyone with information in either the burglaries or the West Pine Drive vandalism to contact the police department at (860) 621-0101.
Make sure to like Southington Patch on Facebook or follow on Twitter for breaking news, daily updates and more!