Teen Charged After Disrupting Derynoski Recess

The afternoon recess at the Derynoski School was cut short Wednesday after police said a 15-year-old began acting suspicious and refused to leave the playground area.

A local 15-year-old is facing charges after he interrupted a recess at the Wednesday afternoon, refused to leave when asked by school officials and proceeded to cause a disturbance that led officials to bring all the children back inside the school.

Police said Thursday that the 15-year-old was arrested on charges of first-degree criminal trespassing and breach of peace following the incident. His name was not released due to his age and he was released into the custody of his parents, officers said.

The 15-year-old is due in Bristol Superior Court for arraignment on Dec. 18, police said. Without a name, Southington Patch were unable to check with court officials regarding the case.

Sgt. Lowell DePalma said in a press release Thursday that incident occurred about 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, as children were playing in the field behind the 240 Main St. facility.

School officials asked the 15-year-old, who stood 6 feet tall, weighed 145 pounds and was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt with the hood up, to leave several times. The boy refused and said he could “be where he wanted” according to a police report.

Moments later, he went and entered a white vehicle with four other males in it, according to witnesses, then returned to the playground area.

Concerned about the safety of the children, police said school officials took the children back within the locked school building. Officials also called police to come and talk with the 15-year-old.

Further details of the case were not immediately available.

Arthur Cyr December 16, 2011 at 03:21 PM
15 years old or 18 years old shouldn't matter. When punks disrupt a school, they should not only be arrested, their names and pictures should immediately be released and posted everywhere.
Tony Casale December 17, 2011 at 01:27 AM
It was not as bad as it sounds, he was trespassing during school hours and was asked to leave and did not,however at no time were any children at any risk, I was on site for the duration of the event, as were other school employees and officals and I was actually the one who first called attention to it. The children were asked to end recess early so they would not be subject to witnessing an arrest near the playground, NOT because of any danger to them, had they been in harms way, I assure you All parents would have gotten a call from from Dr Erardi.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »