January 1 is New Year's Day, and since it falls on a Tuesday this year that is the day it is observed as a federal holiday. State and local government offices are closed and mail will not be delivered, but some businesses are open.
Here is a summary. Please add any other openings/closings in the comments below.
- Southington Town Hall: Open Dec. 31, closed Jan. 1.
- Southington Public Library: Cclosing at 4 p.m. Dec. 31, closed Jan. 1.
- Southington Public Schools: School resumes Jan. 2.
- Banks: Closed Jan. 1.
- U.S. Post Offices: Closed Jan. 1.
- State government offices: Closed Jan. 1.
- State courts: Closed Jan. 1.
- Supermarkets: Many open, call ahead to check hours.
- Retail stores/Restaurants: Many open, call ahead to check hours.
- New Year’s Day, Tuesday, Jan. 1: Package stores closed, grocery stores may be open but the sale of beer is prohibited.
- New Year's Day, Tuesday, Jan. 1: Restaurants, bars, cafes, casinos (food must be available) may serve as permit allows for normal operation.
The Department of Motor Vehicles customer service centers are closed on Mondays as usual, and will also be closed for the New Year’s Day holiday on Tuesday, Jan. 1, reopening on Wednesday, Jan. 2, at 7:45 a.m.
Information about DEEP programs and state parks and forests may be found online at: www.ct.gov/deep
Make sure to like Southington Patch on Facebook and follow on Twitter for breaking news, daily updates and more!